+44 20 7759 1364
- Minimum pricing for alcohol sales – guidance and draft legislation published
- Will the Home Office allow pubs to stay open late during the World Cup 2014?
- Licensing of Sex Establishments Update
- Naming the Driver
- Abandoning Your Vehicle
- Police to test drivers for drugs after the home office approves kit for use in stations
- New offence of causing serious injury by dangerous driving
- Scottish Parliament votes to cut the drink-drive limit
- The Live Music Act (‘LMA’)
- Protection of Freedoms Act 2012
Philip Somarakis graduated from Manchester Metropolitan University in 1991 with an Honours degree in Law. He trained at Oxford Magistrates Court and qualified in 1996. Philip was Partner at Blake Lapthorn before joining Davenport Lyons as a Partner in 2012.
Philip’s practice focuses on the areas of alcohol and entertainment licensing law motoring offences and business regulatory law. Philip specialises in licensing matters having appeared in over 100 contested hearings before Council Licensing Committees. He has been recognised in Chambers Directory as an expert Motoring Offences Lawyer, securing acquittals in both speeding and drink driving cases. He also has expertise in Driving Licence Medical Appeals and has successfully challenged decisions of the DVLA to refuse driving licence applications or revoke driving licences on medical grounds.
Recent experience includes:
Alcohol and Entertainment Licensing
- Obtaining new premises licences for 1000 capacity venue in Hackney
- Acting for a national restaurant chain in licensing matters
- Advising a supermarket/convenience store chain on due diligence and training
- Advising a national opera on licensing law
- Obtaining a shadow premises licence in Westminster City Council.
Business Regulatory Law
- Securing an acquittal for a licensee prosecuted under Licensing Act 2003
- Advising a licensee on noise nuisance issues
- Advising operator on underage sales and due diligence
- Advising on breaches of consumer protection legislation
- Defending a national car dealership prosecuted under Road Traffic Act 1988
- Advising an Italian parking fines processing company on the provisions of the Protection of Freedoms Act
- Advising an importer on Portman Group’s Code of Practice for labelling of alcoholic products
Motoring Offences and Driving Licences
- Representing a motorist arrested for drink driving who was acquitted after trial
- Advising a driver who had failed to provide a breath specimen and was found not guilty
- Acting for numerous individuals who have had their driving licences revoked due to visual field defects or other medical conditions
- Acting for a client on 9 penalty points who faced three speeding offence charges by three different police forces and successfully keeping her licence.
Philip has appeared on BBC Watchdog and Radio 5 Live discussing driving offences and has lectured extensively on the Bribery Act, including to members of the CBI, Chamber of Commerce and a Premier and Championship Football Clubs. Philip is Company Secretary to ACFO (Association of Car Fleet Operators). He has given many presentations on Managing On-Road Risk and the impact of the Corporate Manslaughter Act. He sits on DVLA’s Industry Liaison Group and Consumer Forum concentrating on parking fines.
Philip is married with two children. Outside of work Philip has run six marathons including Athens and London. His best time so far is 3’38! His wish is to complete the Marathon Des Sables.